App StoreGoogle Play App
@pfspotFacebookGoogle+myspaceLinkedIn

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Gronkowski vs. Graham: Take Your Pick

rob gronkowski jimmy graham new england patriots new orleans saints afc east nfc south

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Tight ends (15 member(s) have cast votes)

If you were an NFL GM starting a team, who would you take as your tight end with both players healthy?

1. Rob Gronkowski (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Jimmy Graham (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

The rumors mill is swirling around almost every football outlet that Rob Gronkowski could, or should, or might return this Sunday when the New England Patriots host the New Orleans Saints. If Gronkowski does play this weekend, two of the bright young stars at the tight end position and in the NFL will be on full display to fans of both teams.

Both Gronkowski and Graham are current holders of NFL records for tight ends, Gronkowski holds the record for receiving yards by a tight end (1,327 yards) and receiving touchdowns by a tight end (17) and total touchdowns by a tight end in a season (18) and is the only player in NFL history to have at least 10 touchdowns in each of his first three seasons. While Graham has the NFL record fot receptions by a tight end in a season (99) and is on pace to break Gronkowski's records this season if he continues his current pace.

So who would you take if you were an NFL GM? If injuries were put aside, would you rather take Gronkowski or Graham? Why would you take "your guy"?

Edited by Matt LaPan, 10 October 2013 - 05:31 PM.

• boc5726 likes this
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   John Wenker

John Wenker
    • 319 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

I don't think it is possible to go wrong with either guy, and when they are healthy, they are the two best. I chose Graham simply because he does not have the injury history of Gronk.

• Matt LaPan likes this

teamjournalist.png

Follow me on twitter: @WSULefty24

#3 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I can see that point of view. I personally take Gronkowski simply because he is also a fantastic blocker so he does more for your team when he is on the field. I totally agree that you can't go wrong and Graham is a great player.

• boc5726 likes this
Posted Image

#4 ONLINE   Cjw

Cjw
    • 986 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

I see you snuck in " If injuries were put aside" at the end. That is the only scenario in which I would take Gronk over Graham. I think Gronk is the better talent overall, but I cant discount the injury factor.

• Matt LaPan likes this

@cjw_55106

#5 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

It is way more interesting an argument with injuries set aside

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   d3vanj

d3vanj
    • 1,647 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

I mean, at this point it can be argued that Graham is not only the best TE in the league, but the best receiver not tagged with the moniker of Megatron. He is the Peyton Manning of tight ends this season, and on pace for astronomical numbers which would break every TE record in the league at this point. He is leading the league in receiving yardage, T2nd in TDs, T2nd in receptions (those stats are amongst all WRs and TEs), won offensive player of the month (first time a TE has ever won this record) and just tied his own record for consecutive 100 yd receiving games for a TE. He is also no slouch in the blocking department either.

I'd take Graham 7 days a week and twice on Tuesday.

Edited by d3vanj, 10 October 2013 - 04:00 PM.

• Mark Ahern Jr. and Matt LaPan like this

35m1abt.png

#7 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Only on Tuesday? Haha. I think this season for Graham is truly showing how great he is/can be. If he continues this pace he will rewrite the record books and that is an interesting thought on being the best receiving threat not named Calvin Johnson. Had never really looked at him that way but it could be right, I'll have to think that one over. I'm personally not sold on his blocking but they almost never ask him to do it from some of the games I've seen.

Personally I might be a little biased to Gronkowski due to the fact I see him every week (when he is on the field) and prefer him. Although it is only by the slimmest of margins.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   d3vanj

d3vanj
    • 1,647 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

As far as being biased, I'm sure we both are in our own regard. And Graham is trying to break the records that Gronk holds, too -- so that's something. Here's something to add to the receiver comment..

BWAPvA-CIAEsZm2.png

Edited by d3vanj, 10 October 2013 - 04:30 PM.

• Matt LaPan likes this

35m1abt.png

#9 ONLINE   bobferg

bobferg
    • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Graham all day. But Gronk could be in for some crazy stats since Brady should throw only to him for the rest of the year.
  • Matt LaPan likes this

@BobbyFerg

ManCaveSports

luckmebeautiful.png

^ GOD ^

Thanks d3v

#10 ONLINE   Cyrus Naser

Cyrus Naser
    • 641 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm taking Graham because Gronk's injuries this year were upper body.  You can see how much thinner he's gotten because he hasn't been able to work out.  It's going to take him a bit to get back up to speed and there's honestly no guarantee that he does.  Jimmy is on pace to shatter records and he's such a physical specimen that I've got to go with him.

Let's be honest though, you're not really going "wrong" with either of them, they're both Phenomenal Talents :)  Just a matter of preference.

• Matt LaPan likes this

teamjournalist.png

cyrusnaser.png

Twitter: @CyrusNaser

#11 OFFLINE   bradyv

bradyv
    • 1,383 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Graham is a bigger matchup nightmare than Gronk is, Gronk is a better blocker by far than Graham is. Just about who you would prefer. OBVIOUSLY I prefer Gronk...

• Matt LaPan likes this

Posted Image

cred to d3v

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Ahern Jr.

Mark Ahern Jr.
    • 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'd lean toward Graham, mainly because of his lack of an injury history.  Gronk has always had that issue and I'd be concerned about that for the purposes of taking on a "GM" role.  Both are undoubtedly great at what they do, so you can't go wrong really, but I'd feel more confident moving into the future with Graham.  His ability to save his body is impressive, while still putting himself in the right place to make the play.  I have to think the finesse he developed as a hoops player enhanced that ability for football, whereas Gronk is visibly seeking out contact.  To build a team for the future, I'd take the guy who will likely be on the field more over the next few years in Graham.  

• Matt LaPan likes this

teamjournalist.png

Follow me on Twitter @MarkAhernJr

New England Patriots Team Journalist at http://news.profootballspot.com/

New England Patriots Beat Writer at http://clnsradio.com/

Atlanta Falcons Lead Team Writer/Analyst at http://firststopfantasy.com/

#13 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

To everyone taking Graham, does your choice change if both players are in a bubble? No injuries, not on a team just as a prospect to start a new team.

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Procopio

Mike Procopio
    • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

It all depends on the offense they are playing in.  Would Gronk be as good catching balls from Brees?  Most likely.  Would Graham be as dynamic in New England?  Probably.  They are both tight ends, but Graham is more of a hybrid role like Hernandez was.  He has a bigger catch radius and better hands than AH did.

Blocking you have to go with Gronk, but considering this is a pass first league now, it isn't as relevant as maybe ten years ago.

I'd lean towards Jimmy G, and I'm a big Gronk guy.  But Gronk hasn't been able to stay healthy, especially come playoff time.

• d3vanj and Matt LaPan like this
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Evan Massey

Evan Massey
    • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Very, very interesting question. If I were the GM, I'd probably take Jimmy Graham at this point. Gronk's injury issues make this a win for Graham. Very tough to choose between these guys, but I think Graham is the best receiver in the game right now as previously mentioned outside of Megatron.

• Matt LaPan likes this
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Seth Keysor

Seth Keysor
    • 2,028 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

IF we're setting injuries aside, I have to go with the Gronk.  The reason being how superior he is as a blocker.  That adds a dimension to NE's options that the Saints just don't have when it comes to Graham.  I like my TE's to keep teams wondering what they'll be doing on any given down.

• Matt LaPan likes this
Posted Image

I has a Twitter @RealMNchiefsfan. Sometimes I say the darndest things

#17 ONLINE   Jake Arthur

Jake Arthur
    • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'm going with Graham, but it is not because it's a "what have you done for me lately" situation.  I respect the hell out of Gronk's game and I don't think you could go wrong with either option and I would definitely take him on the Colts.

However.

From what I've observed, Graham just has a more developed all-around game.  I've seen Gronk dominate in the red zone plenty, but I've seen Graham catch long touchdowns, make moves that looks like a running back.  Gronk is the better blocker, but for my money I take Graham.

• Matt LaPan likes this

teamjournalist.png
jakearthursig.png
PFS AFC South Division Manager and Indianapolis Colts Lead Writer.

Follow me on Twitter @JakeArthurISR and the PFS: Colts Twitter account @Spot_Colts.

#18 OFFLINE   Matt LaPan

Matt LaPan
    • 326 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

I agree that Graham might mike more long catches, Gronkowski is no slouch in that regard. He consistently makes 20-30 yard plays down the seem and can take short plays and make them long plays. I know Graham does it more but it is an often overlooked part of Gronkowski's game.

I am actually pretty surprised with the overwhelming response to Graham over Gronkowski here. I guess I shouldn't be because Graham is tearing it up right now and Gronkowski can't seem to get healthy. I will again say I go with Gronkowski if health is not a factor. He is such a rare combination of size, speed, athleticism and play-making ability.

Both players are special players, and I personally think that term is vastly overused. Both of them have a chance to change the tight end position.

Posted Image

#19 ONLINE   Sami Mamou

Sami Mamou
    • 3,505 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Graham is in a league of his own as far as I'm concerned. The distance from Graham to Gronk is astronomical in my eyes.. And the distance from Gronk to the best of the rest is equally astronomical. If I was picking any 1 player that doesn't play QB to be on my team, it'd be Graham.
  • d3vanj and Matt LaPan like this

#20 OFFLINE   Jake Mendel

Jake Mendel
    • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I'd go Graham, even if these two put up the same numbers Graham isn't a distraction off the field. Can't forget the injuries either
  • Matt LaPan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rob gronkowski, jimmy graham, new england patriots, new orleans saints, afc east, nfc south

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users