SPOT: KG's Korter: Titans Week 3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,769 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Thoughts from San Diego Game

1. Jake Locker is a franchise quarterback: I’ve been a supporter of Jake Locker since he was drafted 8th overall in 2011 ahead of Andy Dalton, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder. During Locker’s first season as a starter (2012), he looked very shaky and inaccurate. Many fans (and most of the media’s “experts”) believed that drafting him was a mistake; however, those that have defended Jake Locker were given a special treat against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, September 23, 2013. The young quarterback threw for 299 yards with a touchdown and rushed for 68 yards on five carries with another touchdown. Although the Chargers have a horrible defense, Jake Locker looked fantastic. Despite one overthrown pass to Damian Williams in the game-winning 94-yard drive, Locker looked very accurate with great zip on his passes throughout the game. Locker is yet to turn the ball over at this point in the season and finished the game with a 96.6 passer rating. Jake Locker is the first Tennessee Titans quarterback to beat the San Diego Chargers- ever.

2. It is Time to End the Kenny Britt Project- UGH. What a pain in the rear end. Kenny Britt has all of the potential in the world, but he failed miserably in a game that he should have been dominant. Britt was benched for the game-winning drive after a 2-drop, 2-penalty, 0-reception from 5-target performance. 0 catches. Goose-egg. How did the offense do without former freak? They moved the ball 94 yards down the field with Nate Washington, Kendall Wright, Damian Williams, Michael Preston, and finally Justin Hunter on a his first NFL reception for a beautiful 34-yard touchdown grab. This offense does not need Kenny Britt. In fact, it is better off without him. I am all for trading him to any NFC team (and maybe an AFC team) for a mid-to-late round draft pick. I’m done with Britt and don’t care if he has a revitalization with some NFC team. He’s not going to get it done in Tennessee, so we should just move on and work with improving the young Justin Hunter, Damian Williams, and Michael Preston.

3. Penalties are Killer- the Tennessee Titans were horrible penalty-wise against the Chargers. They made so many dumb illegal blocks, holds, interferences, etc. Both sides of the ball really struggled with playing cleanly, but they still won the game. If they are going to beat teams like the Texans and Colts, they are going to have to clean it up.

4. The Refs hate the Titans- the penalties were understood. The team earned those flags; however, the calls on the field were not good. Nate Washington had two nice grabs that were negated by the refs and then not overturned by Munchak’s challenges. There were also many times that the Chargers got away with pass interference, while the Titans couldn’t get away with stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. I’m not saying that the game was rigged, but it does seem like this team is never on the good side of the refs.

5. Philip Rivers is a Baby- he is just not a leader. Yelling at the refs after Keenan Allen’s penalty was humiliating, and then walking back to the locker room before halftime was just more immature. He just isn’t a cool guy. He’s not necessarily a bad person, but he seems like a total jerk. I’m so glad he is not the Titans quarterback, as Locker has no character concerns whatsoever.

6. LP Field is Scary- The Chargers offense seemed to really struggle due to the noise at LP Field. With an early snap and Rivers looking flustered while trying to communicate to his team, it really seemed like the Titans fans were able to give the opposing team difficulties.

Thoughts for New York:

1. Geno Smith will Struggle- Geno is playing better than I expected, but that is not saying much. Against Buffalo on Sunday, he passed for 2 TDs and rushed for another for a 27-20 victory. That’s pretty good; however, he also threw two picks. That brings Smith’s stats to 801 yards, 53.9% completion percentage, 3 passing TDs, 6 interceptions, and a 65.0 passer rating. Ouch. He had his best game against Buffalo with his 89.9 passer rating, but that was against a defense that is now 28th in yards allowed. Geno’s one bad game was against New England- at New England. If Philip Rivers and company struggled at LP Field, then rookie Geno Smith will definitely have difficulties in the thunderous Nashville stadium. The Titans stout defense will be Smith’s biggest challenge yet.

2. Jake Locker will have Another Great Day- The Jets defense is allowing an average 270.0 yards per game, good for 4th in the league; however, they and the Chargers struggle to do the same thing- force turnovers. The New York Jets have intercepted only one pass this season. That does not bode well for a team that is away against a team that is yet to turn the ball over at all. Jake Locker and company are doing a great job of protecting the ball and will have a good opportunity to do so against Gang Green.

3. The Defense needs to Stop the Run- the Titans struggled more against the Chargers running game than they did against the Steelers. The Jets have the #6 rushing offense in the league with Bilal Powell averaging 4.3 yards per carry for 226 in three games with Chris Ivory behind him as the big back. If the Titans can shut down the rushing attack, they will be able to force Geno to make mistakes and throw away the game.

4. The Pass Blocking has to Improve- The Jets have sacked their opposing quarterbacks 12 times in 3 games. That’s not good for a Titans team that gave up a lot of pressure to the San Diego Chargers who struggled to sack the quarterback much before coming to LP Field. If the offensive line doesn’t protect Jake Locker, it could lead to an upset.

What to Expect for the Upcoming Week:

1. Kenny Britt Rumors- the immature wide receiver infuriated many fans by “tweeting” that it was probably his last season in Tennessee and then “retweeting” a Ravens fan’s request for the Titans to trade him to Baltimore. UGH. Now we may hear some rumors, including possibilities of trading, cutting, or simply benching #18.

2. More Passing Yards(!): After proving that he is a perfectly capable NFL quarterback, Offensive Coordinator Dowell Loggains will likely give Jake some more opportunities in the upcoming weeks. This is a positive sign for Titans fans who are becoming irritated by the routine run-run-pass gameplan that the team has followed for most of the season.

3.The return of Sammie Lee Hill- If the Titans are going to stop the Jets run game, they will have to have all hands on deck to stop them. “Mookie” Johnson did a good job of plugging up the hole that was left by the injured Sammie Lee Hill (ankle); nevertheless, Hill is the better starter, and the team may try to get him back on the field against the Jets.

For the upcoming week, Titans fans get to enjoy the team's first victory over the Chargers since Mike Munchak was still a player for the Houston Oilers.

Click here to view the article

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

Want a signature like mine? Click here.

Follow me on Twitter @KennethGoit

#2 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,763 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Only part I disagree with is the refs. I never felt like they were against up, and I thought the two reviews were the right calls as well. I did think they were WAY too involved in the game, however. 

#3 OFFLINE   William Watts

William Watts
    • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

Jake Locker is a franchise quarterback:

That is a big statement right there. 

Now say it and actually believe it.

The Chiefs went through all of this since the days of Trent Green except we never had a first round pick start for us that we drafted.

It was always fans convincing themselves that a QB was franchise caliber on GameDay: Cassel, Quinn, Stanzi, Orton, Palko

One of them would make a play and some fan would chime in: "Maybe he will develop into a franchise QB" (this happened most with Cassel.)

Unfortunately, no matter how they (homers) skewed the stats to their arguments favor, it just simply wasn't true.

Every team wants a franchise QB, not every team gets one.

Jake Locker is going to have to have a long run of games playing at a high level before that thought will ever reach legitimacy.

Congrats and thanks on beating the Chargers though. It was good times.

#4 OFFLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,769 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

That is a big statement right there. 

Now say it and actually believe it.

The Chiefs went through all of this since the days of Trent Green except we never had a first round pick start for us that we drafted.

It was always fans convincing themselves that a QB was franchise caliber on GameDay: Cassel, Quinn, Stanzi, Orton, Palko

One of them would make a play and some fan would chime in: "Maybe he will develop into a franchise QB" (this happened most with Cassel.)

Unfortunately, no matter how they (homers) skewed the stats to their arguments favor, it just simply wasn't true.

Every team wants a franchise QB, not every team gets one.

Jake Locker is going to have to have a long run of games playing at a high level before that thought will ever reach legitimacy.

Congrats and thanks on beating the Chargers though. It was good times.

It is a big statement. But Jake Locker has acted the part, worked the part, and now played the part. The only thing he lacks is consistency. He's done everything off the field that a franchise QB must do, and on Sunday he played like one too. It just has to happen more often, which it appears will. 

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

#5 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,763 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

He has been extremely impressive in every game this season, his first season being healthy starting the year. The guy has been absolutely phenomenal through the first three games.

And to be fair, I had given up on him before this season because of the success other rookies have had in year one. 

#6 OFFLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,769 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

He has been extremely impressive in every game this season, his first season being healthy starting the year. The guy has been absolutely phenomenal through the first three games.

And to be fair, I had given up on him before this season because of the success other rookies have had in year one. 

See, where I'm from at MCM, the Titans coverage is so tight that they know plenty of stories of his work ethic, ability, etc. We knew that he had all of the intangibles, and are too stubbornly optimistic to give up on him until the end (see Kenny Britt).

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

#7 OFFLINE   William Watts

William Watts
    • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

which it appears will.

This is where homer fans get in to trouble.

#8 OFFLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,769 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

This is where homer fans get in to trouble.

Very true. We Titans fans also are used to failures at QB (see Vince Young, Rusty Smith). He still has a lot to prove, but the coaching staff seems to be fully behind him.

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users