App StoreGoogle Play App
@pfspotFacebookGoogle+myspaceLinkedIn

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Even if Locker has a good season, would the Titans be wise to draft a new QB?

titans tennessee afc 2014 nfl draft

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Will Lomas

Will Lomas
    • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Jake Locker has a shaky future with the Titans that is directly related to having a healthy and successful 2013 with Tennessee. However, even if the Titans have a successful year and end up drafting between 16-22, should they go ahead and pull the trigger on a "back-up" quarterback.

This has nothing to do with Fitzpatrick (he will move to number three on the depth chart) but in a year where at least six quarterbacks have a chance to be legitamate first round values (Bridgewater, Boyd, Fales, Mariota, Hundley, Murray, Manziel, and McCarron) the Titans might be wise to find someone to groom if and when Locker hits his final contract year.

Worst case scenario, the Locker does great over the next two years and tries to charge the Titans a premium since they have another QB on the roster. If that happens then the Titans can use the same money to add other pieces and keep the rookie QB (whoever he is).

Best case Locker has two acceptable years, the Titans draft a capable, mobile QB and they have a Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers type situation (but probably not with two hall of famers).

#2 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,563 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

If Locker has a good, promising season, I don't see any reason to draft a QB early. If there really are THAT many solid QBs coming out of the draft, one of the 7 would slip to the 3rd or later. We can grab one of them there if necessary. Don't think I'll be thinking QB come draft time if Jake looks good this season. If he looks good, he's our franchise QB. 

#3 ONLINE   Joshua Huffman

Joshua Huffman
    • 1,526 posts

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

If Locker looks good, then drafting a quarterback makes zero sense. Maybe even less.

Green Bay Packers (1995-life)
Chicago Cubs (1997-life)
Tennessee Titans (2010-life)

#4 OFFLINE   tyler6914

tyler6914
    • 1,094 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I don't think Locker will have that good of a season, its possible he could but I'd probably take a bet that he won't, and if he doesn't I'm sure they will take a QB.

#5 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson

Zach Knutson
    • 337 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think Jake Locker will have a phenomenal season. I compare him to Christian Ponder. Both very young and a lot of talent. Just need weapons and learning how to use their talent.
Posted Image

#6 ONLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 2,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Locker will mostly likely have a good season. It would make no sense to draft a new QB if he has a good season. There are good QB is almost every draft. Why waste a pick on one if Locker, a guy with great work ethic and physical abilities, is improving?

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

Want a signature like mine? Click here.

Follow me on Twitter @KennethGoit

#7 OFFLINE   Joey Rebbe

Joey Rebbe
    • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think we need to clear something up... Just even if you have a solidified starter at QB, doesn't mean you don't need to draft a backup. The Patriots grabbed Mallet the year after Brady won MVP. So, they probably will draft a QB, because a lot of teams draft QBs. It happens. 

That said, Jake Locker is going to have to play significantly better in order to earn a future starting role with the Titans. Yes, he tries hard, yes, he displays incredible effort on every play. But he is near the end of the "three year trial period" that is usually used to evaluate QBs. I think bias may have clouded the judgment of some of you Titan fans, because he has some serious mechanical issues, footwork being first and foremost among them. As of right now, he is not even close to good.

But, as I've said before, Jake went to UW, which is three miles down the road from where I go to school, and just about everyone I know (myself included) wants him to have a successful, prosperous NFL career.

teamjournalist.png

You follow my twitter, I'll follow yours

https://twitter.com/JoeyRebbe

#8 ONLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 2,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think we need to clear something up... Just even if you have a solidified starter at QB, doesn't mean you don't need to draft a backup. The Patriots grabbed Mallet the year after Brady won MVP. So, they probably will draft a QB, because a lot of teams draft QBs. It happens.

That said, Jake Locker is going to have to play significantly better in order to earn a future starting role with the Titans. Yes, he tries hard, yes, he displays incredible effort on every play. But he is near the end of the "three year trial period" that is usually used to evaluate QBs. I think bias may have clouded the judgment of some of you Titan fans, because he has some serious mechanical issues, footwork being first and foremost among them. As of right now, he is not even close to good.

But, as I've said before, Jake went to UW, which is three miles down the road from where I go to school, and just about everyone I know (myself included) wants him to have a successful, prosperous NFL career.

Agreed. But as the post says, if he has a good season, there is no reason to not continue to push him as our starter. Now, if he doesn't have a good season and still needs a lot of work, then it's a different case.
And in Mallet's case, he was drafted to be groomed in that offense similar to Aaron Rodgers. Brady is nearing the end, while Locker is just beginning.
  • jhutch likes this

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

#9 OFFLINE   Will Lomas

Will Lomas
    • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Agreed. But as the post says, if he has a good season, there is no reason to not continue to push him as our starter. Now, if he doesn't have a good season and still needs a lot of work, then it's a different case.
And in Mallet's case, he was drafted to be groomed in that offense similar to Aaron Rodgers. Brady is nearing the end, while Locker is just beginning.

There are talented QBs in every draft, but with such a stacked class this is probably the best opportunity to get a starting caliber QB with a pick from 16-22. The Titans don't have a big hole at OL, LB, S, DE, RB, TE, or DT. The biggest needs will probably be QB or CB and there are always quality CBs in rounds 2-3.

#10 ONLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 2,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

There are talented QBs in every draft, but with such a stacked class this is probably the best opportunity to get a starting caliber QB with a pick from 16-22. The Titans don't have a big hole at OL, LB, S, DE, RB, TE, or DT. The biggest needs will probably be QB or CB and there are always quality CBs in rounds 2-3.

You really can't assume what our needs are going to be before training camp. For all we know, Stewart goes down with injury again and we move on without him. Or maybe the corners are fantastic and so is Jake, and then we have no need for a QB. Assuming what our needs are going to be before training camp is ridiculous, especially when our quarterback hasn't even started a whole season yet.
  • Joshua Huffman likes this

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

#11 ONLINE   Joshua Huffman

Joshua Huffman
    • 1,526 posts

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

And let's not assume too quickly that this 2014 QB class will remain stacked. Look how far Matt Barkley dropped after one season. Some of those quarterbacks that you're salivating over may drop pretty far.

If Locker is good, they're not wasting a 16-22 pick on QB.

Edited by Truth Hurts Huffman, 04 July 2013 - 11:55 PM.

• Kenneth Goit likes this

Green Bay Packers (1995-life)
Chicago Cubs (1997-life)
Tennessee Titans (2010-life)

#12 OFFLINE   Joseph Yun

Joseph Yun
    • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Teddy Bridgewater *clap clap clap*

#13 OFFLINE   DeJonne Johnson

DeJonne Johnson
    • 159 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Jake lockers ceiling is high. Very high. If he plays solid this year, not great but solid. There's no reason this team can't make a deep playoff run. The guy only has 11 starts. I don't get why this is said to be make or break for him.

#14 OFFLINE   Joey Rebbe

Joey Rebbe
    • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Jake lockers ceiling is high. Very high. If he plays solid this year, not great but solid. There's no reason this team can't make a deep playoff run. The guy only has 11 starts. I don't get why this is said to be make or break for him.

Play your own Devil's advocate for a second ... what are the reasons that the Titans won't make a deep playoff run?

teamjournalist.png

You follow my twitter, I'll follow yours

https://twitter.com/JoeyRebbe

#15 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,563 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Play your own Devil's advocate for a second ... what are the reasons that the Titans won't make a deep playoff run?

Jake Locker. And possibly the defense adjusting to the new scheme. 

#16 OFFLINE   DeJonne Johnson

DeJonne Johnson
    • 159 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

Lot of reasons . Too many question marks. Young inexperienced quarterback. The titans defense was historically bad last year, expecting a 180 is pushing it. Not to mention with Gregg Williams under a microscope it's possible he becomes a distraction for the defense.

Not to mention, assuming you subscribe to the notion that Chris Johnson doesn't care anymore, that's more pressure on. Locker to carry the offense which is asking a lot for a 3rd year guy

Edited by DeJonne Johnson, 06 July 2013 - 01:56 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: titans, tennessee, afc, 2014, nfl draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users