App StoreGoogle Play App
@pfspotFacebookGoogle+myspaceLinkedIn

• Create Account

Photo

Titans: Tommie Campbell or Alterraun Verner?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thought this would be a good topic to create as we watch this positional battle play out over the off-season. Lots of debate over this here already. I'm still voting Campbell.

Here's the latest....

Titans CB Tommie Campbell ran with the starters during Wednesday's minicamp.
Alterraun Verner has mostly worked at free safety during the offseason, leaving Campbell as the favorite to start opposite Jason McCourty. As a seventh-round rookie last year, Campbell played just 68 snaps on defense -- with 52 of those coming in Week 17.

#2 OFFLINE   tyler6914

tyler6914
    • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I don't know a whole lot about Campbell. Verner I've seen play on tv some. Personally I'd go with Campbell the guy is 6'3 he is a big corner and I always like the bigger CB's because they have a little bit of a advantage size wise against most wide recievers.

#3 OFFLINE   Garrett Kerman

Garrett Kerman
    • 97 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Tommy Campbell is a beast. He is 6'3" and is blaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing fast. If he can learn how to be more physical and better on his coverage I think he can be just as good as Richard Sherman because of his size and speed.

#4 ONLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,768 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Campbell has a difficulty with covering and penalties. As of the end of last season, he wast ready to be a starter. He may be now, however.
Also, on Tuesday, Verner started at corner during minicamps. Verner is playing at safety right now because of the lack of free safeties, with Robert Johnson away from action.

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

Want a signature like mine? Click here.

Follow me on Twitter @KennethGoit

#5 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson

Zach Knutson
    • 337 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't know a whole lot about Campbell. Verner I've seen play on tv some. Personally I'd go with Campbell the guy is 6'3 he is a big corner and I always like the bigger CB's because they have a little bit of a advantage size wise against most wide recievers.

Totally agree, Cambell's height will play a big part if he uses it right.

Edited by Zach Knutson, 20 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson

Zach Knutson
    • 337 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Campbell has a difficulty with covering and penalties. As of the end of last season, he wast ready to be a starter. He may be now, however.
Also, on Tuesday, Verner started at corner during minicamps. Verner is playing at safety right now because of the lack of free safeties, with Robert Johnson away from action.

A lot of CB's have the covering/penalty problem, at least many Vikings CB have had some troubles with that. I hope it all works out for the Titans, would love to see them go to the playoffs with Locker.

Edited by Zach Knutson, 20 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   DeJonne Johnson

DeJonne Johnson
    • 159 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

The new scheme under greg Williams will have CBs playing more man to man and press coverage. While verner is the better cb. His size limits him as he tends to get outmatched vs bigger receivers. I don't think Campbell is ready to play starting cb yet so I expect verner to win based on his solid play. But I think Tommie can push for some playing time.

#8 OFFLINE   Joshua Huffman

Joshua Huffman
    • 1,546 posts

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

For Campbell, the big thing is whether the Titans feel like they can trust him as an outside cornerback against spread formations. That allows Alterraun Verner to move inside, which is his strong area.

If it's a base 2-WR formation the Titans are facing, wouldn't be surprised if McCourty and Verner stay as the 1-2 punch. But Campbell has a chance if he can play with more intelligence. (EDIT): Titans could definitely use Campbell against bigger WRs (e.g. Andre Johnson).

Edited by Truth Hurts Huffman, 22 June 2013 - 12:25 AM.

Green Bay Packers (1995-life)
Chicago Cubs (1997-life)
Tennessee Titans (2010-life)

#9 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson

Zach Knutson
    • 337 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

It's all on Cambell's Height.

Edited by Zach Knutson, 22 June 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

For Campbell, the big thing is whether the Titans feel like they can trust him as an outside cornerback against spread formations. That allows Alterraun Verner to move inside, which is his strong area.

If it's a base 2-WR formation the Titans are facing, wouldn't be surprised if McCourty and Verner stay as the 1-2 punch. But Campbell has a chance if he can play with more intelligence. (EDIT): Titans could definitely use Campbell against bigger WRs (e.g. Andre Johnson).

And Justin Blackmon

#11 ONLINE   Kenneth Goit

Kenneth Goit
    • 3,768 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

And Justin Blackmon

When he's on the field

teamjournalist.png

kdubsig.png

Want a signature like mine? Click here.

Follow me on Twitter @KennethGoit

#12 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson