• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Josh Gleason

Josh Gleason
    • 418 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Report: 10-Year-Old Quarterback Defeats NFL Veteran In Throwing Competition

992994_10151774785514155_314893813_n.jpg

Daron Bryden, seen here with LL Cool J and father Craig Bryden, was able to best Matt Hasselbeck in a throwing competition.

An intriguing story in child stardom had been kept under wraps in the annals of history, that is until today.

According to this post and some further research, it appears that young Daron Bryden defeated Indianapolis Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck in an accuracy competition last summer for a television show that was suppose to air on CBS, but never did.

Bryden, who was 10 at the time, competed against Hasselbeck in Los Angeles. The two had to throw the ball through five different hoops, first in sequential order from one to five (the points earned were one for the first hoop, two for the second hoop, and so on), and then could throw at any hoop once they completed the first five. During the 60-second competition, Daron scored 33 points, while Hasselbeck only scored 31.

"It was an awesome feeling to challenge Matt Hasselbeck to show him what I could do," said an excited Bryden in an exclusive interview. "I will never forget that night. The audience went nuts when I beat him!"

A day the three-time Pro Bowler Hasselbeck would probably rather forget, he was reportedly in good spirits afterward, asking if their was another quarterback who could go against Bryden instead of him.

The television show, which was suppose to called "Top Gun" and was shot last June, never made the airwaves. Rapper LL Cool J was the host of the show and it was apart of a series featuring five other children that were perceived as child stars in their respective fields.

According to sources close to the situation, CBS still has the footage but is currently not releasing it to anybody despite several attempts and them confirming they won't be airing it.

There was at least one third-party source who acknowledged he was in attendance for the event.

"Matt said I was an amazing quarterback and he was impressed with my mechanics," said Bryden, whose favorite quarterback is Ben Roethlisberger. "I was not really nervous that night when there were cameras all over me, which I think will help me deal with the media when I get older."

Bryden, who has already received a fair amount of hype appearing on ESPN, The Huffington Post, and attending college football camps with older athletes, will need to continue to display composure, as he will likely receive some increased composure after this report. Both of his parents are deaf and work tirelessly so that they can send their son to be tutored by the best quarterback coaches so that he can fine-tune his craft.

Now 11 years old and set to begin the sixth grade this upcoming year, Bryden will be playing for the Hartford Hurricanes in the Southern Connecticut Pop Warner League this upcoming season. Here are some highlights of Bryden from last season for the Manchester Sentinals. This likely won't be the last time we hear from the young Bryden.

Neither CBS or Matt Hasselbeck have responded yet when inquired.

All quotes obtained firsthand unless otherwise noted. Follow Joshua Gleason on Twitter (@JGleas) for more.

UPDATE (06/20 6:30 PM EST): Was able to talk with Zodiak USA once again today. They confirmed that they did film it. Here are the latest details:

• Still unsure of why CBS decided not to air the program, but they currently have the footage.
  • Zodiak is working on getting the rights back for the footage, since CBS had their year to air it and didn't.
  • This is a long process that could take "a few months."
  • Once they do get it, they will license it out to the Bryden family.

Unfortunately, this is the last update that will likely happen for a while. Hopefully we will see the clip on YouTube at some point.

UPDATE (06/19 5:16 PM EST): Talking with somebody that worked in the production of the show, we have learned some new details:

• The show was shot by Zodiak USA, a Los Angeles based production company
  • The show was indeed called "Top Gun," though various titles were being talked about, including "Kids Do The Darnedest Things."
  • This individual wasn't sure why it never aired.

The important thing regarding this is that is further evidence that this did actually occur.

I'm currently in talks with Zodiak to get the footage. We will see how these talks progress.

Edited by Josh Gleason, 20 June 2013 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Coming from someone who played QB at age 10 - his highlight video is sick. 

• Josh Gleason likes this

#3 OFFLINE   WhatPezSays

WhatPezSays
    • 123 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

The link isn't leading me anywhere.

You can go far with a smile, you can go even further with a smile and a gun. - Al Capone

#4 OFFLINE   Josh Gleason

Josh Gleason
    • 418 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

The link isn't leading me anywhere.

It's temporarily down.

Some bs about the way I worded something. They are being really picky about something extremely minor that I had said before they removed that I would change, but they decided just to straight delete it instead. Absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's temporarily down.

Some bs about the way I worded something. They are being really picky about something extremely minor that I had said before they removed that I would change, but they decided just to straight delete it instead. Absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.

That's one of the many reasons to publish your work at the Spot over BR ;)

• Zach Knutson likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Josh Gleason

Josh Gleason
    • 418 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have reposted the story here. So now all I may read!

• jhutch and Evan Massey like this
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Evan Massey

Evan Massey
    • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Good read! Can't even imagine what went through his head when he was able to beat out an NFL QB. Certainly a feeling of a lifetime.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Josh Gleason

Josh Gleason
    • 418 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Story has been updated.

Making progress towards getting the video!

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   DeJonne Johnson

DeJonne Johnson
    • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

He has some damn good receivers lol

#10 OFFLINE   Zach Knutson

Zach Knutson
    • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

That's an awesome story!

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   WhatPezSays

WhatPezSays
    • 123 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey thanks for all the updates and getting to the bottom of the problem you're a gentleman and a scholar. Great Story!!!!

• Josh Gleason likes this

You can go far with a smile, you can go even further with a smile and a gun. - Al Capone

#12 OFFLINE   Josh Gleason

Josh Gleason
    • 418 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hey thanks for all the updates and getting to the bottom of the problem you're a gentleman and a scholar. Great Story!!!!

Not a problem at all! Doing my due diligence and seeing the story through!

Hopefully in a few months we will get to see the video of all this.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt hasselbeck, colts, titans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users