Photo

Tennessee Hires Butch Jones

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,551 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Looks like he has a pretty dang good track record. Young guy. Really wanted the job. I'm not sold on his recruiting though, having never had a top 40 class. And I'm not sold on a spread offense in Tennessee. 

• utvolsman321 likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Lunden07

Lunden07
    • 1,175 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'm not going to make a comment on the hiring just yet. He might be the guy. Lets see what he can do first.

#3 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,551 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just watched the press conference. I'm a believer. 

Runs a pro style offense and adapts around the players he has. Does incorporate some spread elements, but are a very physical team. Puts a ton of guys into the pros. The guy knows what he's doing. Very big, tough guy. Demands respect. Will have a disciplined team, shouldn't be a problem there. Said its been his dream job for a long time. So excited he got the chance to coach here.

Said he is not concerned with fans expectations because he expects the same thing as them, to be the best. 

When asked if he was a little bruised knowing he wasn't the first option. Responded by saying that he was his wife's third choice as well and that's been going well for 20 years now, so he wasn't bothered by it at all. 

Also made the comment that Saban and Urban had never had SEC coaching experience before they were successful in the SEC either. 

#4 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Dooley didn't have any SEC coaching experience. Saban and Urban are atypical.

He's not the homerun hire Vols wanted, but no sense in getting mad. Support your coach. Support your team.
  • Lunden07 likes this

#5 ONLINE   Sami Mamou

Sami Mamou
    • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Definitely an interesting hire.

#6 OFFLINE   JimVols

JimVols
    • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

He says all the right things.  Here's hoping he can do the things he says.  I'm behind him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users