Photo

Who will be the next Vols coach?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,719 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Obviously every Vols fan in the nation is wanting John Gruden. I personally think he's gone to the NFL somewhere. Though I can dream.

What do you think would be a good fit?

Jimbo Fisher and Bob Stoops names are being thrown out.

#2 OFFLINE   Lunden07

Lunden07
    • 1,175 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I just feel like Bobby Petrino will find his way back to some school in the SEC. I hope it isn't Tennessee. The man causes trouble everywhere he lands.

#3 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,719 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Forget what I said. I think its 100% Jon Gruden. No doubts in my mind.

#4 OFFLINE   Lunden07

Lunden07
    • 1,175 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

The third Saturday in October would become interesting if that happened.

#5 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I will make a LARGE wager that it is not Jon Gruden.

#6 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Also, I think Gruden is extremely overrated.

He made 5 playoff appearances in 11 seasons in the NFL and has just below a 0.600 record in the NFL.

After winning the Super Bowl his first year in Tampa, he pretty much drove the program into the ground.

#7 OFFLINE   Jets201

Jets201
    • 724 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Gruden won with Dungy's players. After that, Gruden wore out his welcome.
Posted Image
Just. End. The. Season.

#8 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,719 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm cool with Gruden winning with Dooleys players. That .600 win percentage in the NFL is crazy good. Look at career win percentages for the HOF coaches.

#9 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

He ranks 64th among all-time NFL coaches for winning percentage with a 0.540 winning percentage.

His longest coaching stint, he was barely above 0.500 at 0.504 with Tampa.

Not to mention, it'll be interesting to see if his success would translate to college. Though, again, I would make a large wager he does not end up at Tennessee.

Also, winning with Dungy's players (NFL caliber) will be a lot easier than winning with Dooley's undisciplined college players.
  • Lunden07 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   THeavyweight

THeavyweight
    • 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I am 100% certain that Jon Gruden will not be the next coach. I can guarantee it

#11 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I will never say 100% certain when it comes to coaches, but I am 95% sure it isn't him.

Reports are saying Al Golden is gonna be the coach.

#12 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,719 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Still think its Gruden. Time will tell. Too many things pointing in his direction. We want him. Bad.

just now on vq

legitimate gruden info, w/ sources reply
for starters, because i know many of you will look at my history, look up the name bustedplaycom. I was a member for a little over three years, cancelled my membership, and have since come back (just a few months now). I've never once claimed to have any "inside information" or even a clue of what's going on within ut or any of its coaching searches. Having said that, i have a friend out in los angeles (who graduated from ut with me) that works for landmark sports agency, and used to work at psr, where bob lamonte is president and founder. I've been nagging him for the last 5-7 days for any info, but he hasn't had any. Today he called me, and this is what he had to say:

Ut has done everything on its end to try and make gruden their next coach. He doesn't know the exact details, but he said (from what he's heard) that ut has reached out to gruden and has offered him an 8 year, $58m deal.they offered him $4.2m for a staff, and he came back wanting more; they counted with $4.9m for a staff, and this number, according to him, is still a bit of an issue, and is yet to be resolved.

Gruden is very worried about ncaa rules, recruiting, and violations -- that sounds like a very little thing on the surface, but it's apparently one of the major things that's keeping him from pulling the trigger to coach college ball. In the nfl, all the guy has to do is worry about a draft (which is mostly up to the gm); in the ncaa, he has to worry about what types of spreads can be given for bagels at a breakfast event.

Bob lamonte, according to my friend, is addicted to getting his clients power -- he said if anyone questions this, please google mike holmgren, andy reid, mike sherman, and our very own jon gruden.

Jon gruden's wife is huge in this -- supposedly, and i quote, "she's much more of a driving force than you'd ever imagine in making a decision that decides the next 8 years of their life." i will tell you my friend was a bit of a drama queen at ut -- i lived w/ the guy, and he has a knack for dramatics -- but he said this deal wouldn't even be close without her.

There is an ownership at stake for this with the cleveland browns. I don't know the numbers, and i actually mocked the op who put this out there, but it's time for me to apologize for that. I thought it was completely absurd, but from what he's told me, it's 100% legitimate. He suspects it's a very small number, but any ownership stake in an nfl team to coach a college team would certainly be a first.

On the cancellation: My friend has no inside scoop on that. I asked him to text me if he heard anything, but at the time we spoke (a little over two hours ago), he didn't have any information.

His overall thoughts: He, unlike myself, doesn't think the deal is dead in the water. He said what separates the two sides is a few million dollars (over the course of 8 years, not per year) and a legitimate control issue over football operations (per him, gruden wants all power when it comes to football decisions, as far as who's brought on, who's fired, etc., and there's a different side of opinions between the two parties). The money for gruden is where he wants it, but there still seems to be a gap in the money he wants for assistants -- this is big to gruden, being new to the college game, and he wants to make sure he has the best staff in place, from both a coordinating and recruiting standpoint.

That's what i know. You can call me a troll, much like i have everyone else. I didn't trust anyone because i have a friend in the industry who has very close connections, and he himself hadn't heard anything. I'm not claiming it's a done deal, not claiming there's any ink to dry, not saying it's dead, not saying it's close. Just telling you about a conversation i had with an old roommate.

If i hear anything else, i'll be sure to post.

#13 OFFLINE   THeavyweight

THeavyweight
    • 47 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

He is definitely not going to be the head coach. He's a guru not a college coach.

#14 ONLINE   Sami Mamou

Sami Mamou
    • 3,503 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

Gruden won't go to college. If he leaves the booth, it's to the NFL.

#15 OFFLINE   Lunden07

Lunden07
    • 1,175 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

He said he is perfectly happy with what he is doing now.

when someone is throwing money in your face though, its hard to turn down.

#16 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I kinda want it to be Gruden, so he can come to the SEC and get shalacked.

Gruden would be the 3rd or 4th best college coach in the SEC.

1. Saban
2. Spurrier
3a. Miles
3b. Gruden
4. Richt

#17 ONLINE   jhutch

jhutch
    • 6,719 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Shannon Sharpe said today that there's a 70% chance Gruden takes a college job.

#18 ONLINE   Sami Mamou

Sami Mamou
    • 3,503 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

That means it's not happening.

Love Shannon's personality, but guy is an idiot.

#19 OFFLINE   bphodges

bphodges
    • 746 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Not to mention 7.25 mill a year?

UT doesn't have that money. They owe Dooley and his staff over 8 million combined and are still paying Fulmer 6 million for his buyout. They were paying Pearl until July of this year.

They are at an all time low of 1.9 mill in reserve funds for the athletic department. Athletics at most schools including Tennessee contribute a few million to the general campus fund. Tennessee will not be making that annual 6 mill contribution for a few years to loosen up some funds.
l

#20 OFFLINE   THeavyweight

THeavyweight
    • 47 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

This is a PR stunt by the Gruden party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users