2016 Denver Broncos Offseason Positional Needs

PFS Staff
Like many other NFL teams, the offseason is a time of transition and (hopefully) growth. Find out what positions the Denver Broncos will look to improve this time around. | Photo Credit: mmqb.si.com

How do you build on a Super Bowl-winning season? Simple. You go out and try and do it again. You may say that, come draft night, the Denver Broncos will begin the climb to re-building the roster. However, it starts much sooner than that with roster decisions as the squad approaches free agency. Here are Denver's biggest needs heading into the offseason.

1. Defensive End

Although Denver locked Derek Wolfe up to a long-term deal during the season, there still remains the question of Malik Jackson. Jackson, coming off a career year in which he made just $1,595,403, will likely look for a payday on the open market. Don't overlook the fumble recovery touchdown to open the Super Bowl; Jackson was a consistent force in the Wade Phillips 3-4 defense. He was disruptive against the pass and run alike, despite his 5 15-yard penalties on the season. Also hitting the street from the Mile High City is rotational lineman Antonio Smith. At 34, coming off a one-year deal, Smith is unlikely to generate much interest and is likely to return based simply on familiarity with the Phillips defense.

2. Inside Linebacker

It's obviously problematic to see the top three players on the depth chart at the ILB position (Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis) all pending free agents. However, youngster Davis is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, all but guaranteeing his return. Marshall's Restricted Free Agent status means it's unlikely any team will peel him away. The real kicker here, though, is Trevathan. Like Jackson, he will probably seek his fortunes on the open market, and considering his abilities for a Super Bowl winning defense, will likely get paid. Even though there are ostensibly greater holes here, there are also better backup plans for Denver.

3. Offensive Tackle

Let's face it: Ryan Harris and Michael Schofield should not have been the starters for an NFL team, much less a ring-winning franchise. Although starters Ryan Clady and Ty Sambrailo will be returning from injury, money and inexperience are the respective factors that may limit them. Denver needs an infusion of talent to protect either young QB Osweiler or Peyton Manning, should he shock the world and return. In addition, it's no secret how much Gary Kubiak likes his offensive linemen. He'll want to build a solid zone blocking corps up front.

Written by the Pro Football Spot Denver Broncos Staff. Follow us on Twitter: @spot_broncos

User Feedback

11 hours ago, Jamey Burky said:

Should the Broncos pursue Malik or is he expendable?

Malik Jackson was a fifth round pick. It seems that in the first five years of Elway's tenure he's been able to find gems at every stage of the draft. While Jackson's production is undeniable, there's no reason to think Elway and the front office personnel he's assembled can't find players like Jackson in the draft again and again. Who knows? Maybe the guy to replace Jackson is already on the roster in Kenny Anunike. Only time will tell.

Here's a list of some of the contributors that the Broncos have drafted in the fourth round or later since Elway took over in 2011:

2015: Max Garcia (4th), Darius Kilgo (6th)

2014: Matt Paradis (6th), Corey Nelson (7th), Shaquil Barrett (UFA), Bennie Fowler (UFA),

Juwan Thompson (UFA)

2013: C.J. Anderson (UFA), Lerentee McCray (UFA)

2012: Omar Bolden (4th), Malik Jackson (5th), Danny Trevathan (6th), Aaron Brewer (UFA)

2011: Quinton Carter (4th), Julius Thomas (4th), Virgil Green (7th), Chris Harris Jr. (UFA)

If that list doesn't inspire confidence in Elway's ability to identify and develop young talent I don't know what will.

Jamey Burky likes this

11 hours ago, Joe Pollock said:

2015: Max Garcia (4th), Darius Kilgo (6th)

Juwan Thompson (UFA)

2013: C.J. Anderson (UFA), Lerentee McCray (UFA)

A bit off topic, how well did Kilgo perform? I looked at his film after the draft last year for an article in our school's news magazine and I was mixed on him. I know, at least at Maryland, he was taken off the field during pass rush situations and I know he was great in run coverage, but I didn't keep up with him. I loved Garcia, though.

2 hours ago, Jamey Burky said:

Kilgo was good not great. He didn't get a whole lot of playing time. He was behind Sylvester Williams after all. Sly had a great year so Kilgo's snaps were relatively limited.

Link to comment

It was inevitable that the Broncos would lose players, but I think they have lost a few too many. I'm surprised the #1 defense in the NFL let their leading tackler Danny Trevathan go, especially for a relatively modest contract.

Link to comment

The Broncos look like a gutted trout caught fresh out of the Colorado River.  There is no reliable quarterback on the roster, more than a third of its core players have departed via free agency with no immediate contingency plan on display.  Will the Bronco's be duplicating the New England success with the phrase 'In John we Trust' or will this indeed be a major set back and reset of the 2015 Super Bowl Champions?

11 hours ago, Augustine Harmon said:

In addition to OT, is OG a need? And where would you put QB? Sanchez/Siemian isn't an inspiring group.

I'd say OG is more of a need than OT. People who go on and on about Harris and Sambrailo's inadequacies fail to acknowledge the fact that Neither of those two would have made it onto the field in 2015 if Clady and Sambrailo had stayed healthy. I could very much see that 31st pick going with an OG. That said the depth along the defensive line in this draft is remarkable. The Broncos first pick will likely be a 3-4 DE.

19 hours ago, Frank Scaduto said:

Will Sanchez really start, or will Elway find a gem at pick #31?

I think Sanchez came in to compete, but I really don't think he'll be the clear cut #1 going into camp. Either by trade, free agency, or the draft Elway will bring in someone else at the QB position.

On 3/4/2016 at 11:07 AM, David Harrison said:

I feel like Henry could end up in Denver.  Thoughts?

Traditionally Kubiak doesn't like to use high draft picks on RBs. Of the nine 1,000 yard rushers in his system only Portis, Droughns and Slayton were drafted in the third round or earlier. TD was a sixth round pick and he ran for 2,000 in '98.

David Harrison likes this

20 minutes ago, Joe Pollock said:

It is a really good year to grab a DL to develop into a monster. I don't think any of them will have crazy rookie campaigns, but there are a lot of kids who are gonna end up kicking major tail in years to come.

Joe Pollock likes this

1 hour ago, Augustine Harmon said:

I agree. I've got this crazy idea that they're going to slide Sly Williams over to DE to replace Malik Jackson and plug Darius Kilgo in at NT for the time being until the guy they draft can really supplant himself in that spot. I could be wrong, and I'm sure there will be some veteran depth at the position that could win the job. I just think if you got Sly into a good offseason workout program his skillset could really fit that 3-4 end position.

Link to comment

It'll be interesting to see for sure. 3-4 is a fun defense because it allows you to mix and match the three uglies up front much more than a 4-3 will let you do.

Link to comment

Manning retired. Osweiler left via free-agency. Who is going to fill the QB spot in Denver?  I am sure they are working on this.

If anyone knows, pls let me know. via message. Thanks.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Draft Coverage