Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are Colts On the Cusp of QB Rivalry in the AFC South?


Jake Arthur
Andrew Luck vs. Blake Bortles could be a great show for the next decade-plus. | Photo Credit: AJ Mast / Associated Press

Recently, NFL Network Analyst David Carr proclaimed that Eli Manning (New York Giants) vs. Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys) is the best quarterback rivalry in the NFL right now. I would have a hard time arguing against that, as that matchup seems to bring out the best in both players. But might the AFC South have its own version of that rivalry coming soon?

Andrew Luck (Indianapolis Colts) vs. Blake Bortles (Jacksonville Jaguars).

The rivalry has not gotten off to as good of a start as it could have so far due to Luck’s 2015 season being derailed by injuries, but there is plenty that goes into this potentially becoming a must-see rivalry going forward.

First, both players are still young; Luck going into his fifth season at 26 years old, and Bortles into his third at 24. The Colts have owned the AFC South division since its inception, winning it nine of its 14 years, but the Jaguars are a very popular pick to make noise in the league immediately. They have built a very impressive roster on paper over the past few years. Now, they just have to translate it to wins.

Next, both players have the ability to take over games and can light up the scoreboard. In 2014, Luck led the league in touchdowns with 43. He also had 5,034 total yards. Bortles wasn’t far behind with his best season so far, last year with 37 touchdowns and 4,738 total yards.

Another big factor are the Colts and Jaguars fan bases. Both are incredibly passionate (and defensive) about their team, specifically their quarterbacks. The passion behind each side in head-to-head matchups puts a lot of attention on both.

So far, Luck and Bortles have battled twice, the first time being Bortles’ first game action of his career. Luck is 2-0, with his touchdown-to-turnover ratio being 5:2 compared to Bortles’ 2:3.

The division does have another couple of talented signal-callers in Brock Osweiler (Houston Texans) and Marcus Mariota (Tennessee Titans), but they are both too new to the division and don’t have enough invested in yet. But in a couple years, the entire division could be in a rivalry if everyone steps up.

If Luck and Bortles can stay healthy, get their teams wins and perform well in head-to-head matchups, then this will become one of the league’s premier quarterback rivalries in no time.

 

Jake Arthur is the AFC South Newsdesk Manager, Assistant Director of NFL Content and a Featured Analyst for Pro Football Spot. He is also a member of the Professional Football Writers of America. Follow @JakeArthurPFS on Twitter as well as on Facebook,Google+ and FanCred.

 


Brian McMillan likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



User Feedback


Since QBs are never on the field at the same time the only rivalry is in the media.  I'm pretty sure when Luck gets ready for a game the least of his concerns is how will Bortles do this week.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rybcon said:

Since QBs are never on the field at the same time the only rivalry is in the media.  I'm pretty sure when Luck gets ready for a game the least of his concerns is how will Bortles do this week.

 

Yeah, I doubt the actual players care - fans and media make rivalries for the most part. But sometimes watching games like Manning vs. Romo and Cutler vs. Rivers, those feel/felt like QB rivalries. Fun stuff to watch.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Blake Bortles did start a "Blake Bortles Wikipedia Reading Club" with a couple of the guys from Barstool Sports for the original purpose of making fun off Andrew Luck and his book club. So there is  chance that they legitimately don't like each other. Which is something I think we all can agree would be great for the NFL.

Kenneth Goit likes this

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Paul Malamood said:

Well Blake Bortles did start a "Blake Bortles Wikipedia Reading Club" with a couple of the guys from Barstool Sports for the original purpose of making fun off Andrew Luck and his book club. So there is  chance that they legitimately don't like each other. Which is something I think we all can agree would be great for the NFL.

I didn't know that, but it does irritate me haha

Paul Malamood likes this

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't attest to a QB rivalry, but there should be a solid QB-DE rivalry between Luck and Dante Fowler after Fowler racks up enough sacks to break Donald Thomas' single game record in Week 4 this season. DUVAL!

Sent from my iPhone using the Pro Football Spot App

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenneth Goit said:

Yeah, they'll be competing for the titles #2 and #3 best QB in the AFC South title emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using SPOT mobile app

Poor Houston

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Carter Wilson said:

I can't attest to a QB rivalry, but there should be a solid QB-DE rivalry between Luck and Dante Fowler after Fowler racks up enough sacks to break Donald Thomas' single game record in Week 4 this season. DUVAL!

Sent from my iPhone using the Pro Football Spot App

They'll need to grab some cream to rub on Jalen Ramsey after TY Hilton burns him downfield repeatedly ;-)

Carter Wilson likes this

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jake Arthur said:

They'll need to grab some cream to rub on Jalen Ramsey after TY Hilton burns him downfield repeatedly ;-)

Haha ouch. If the Jags can go one full half without giving up a 50+ yard bomb to Hilton, then that is an accomplishment within itself.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carter Wilson said:

Haha ouch. If the Jags can go one full half without giving up a 50+ yard bomb to Hilton, then that is an accomplishment within itself.

I'm just excited to have the downfield pass back in the Colts' offense this year. Nonexistent with Hasselbeck behind center. It was like 1960's football.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jake Arthur said:

I'm just excited to have the downfield pass back in the Colts' offense this year. Nonexistent with Hasselbeck behind center. It was like 1960's football.

 Fair point, but the Jaguars finally have a quality FS and a bevy of quality players competing for the starting outside corner spots, not to mention both the interior and edge pass rush has been significantly upgraded. I'm definitely excited to see the Colts' offense go head-to-head with the Jags' defense this year.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carter Wilson said:

 Fair point, but the Jaguars finally have a quality FS and a bevy of quality players competing for the starting outside corner spots, not to mention both the interior and edge pass rush has been significantly upgraded. I'm definitely excited to see the Colts' offense go head-to-head with the Jags' defense this year.

Oh yeah, Jacksonville's secondary has got to be better this year, I'm sure. Just meant in general. It's like playing defense against a basketball team that won't shoot three-pointers.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen more of a rivalry between the Colts and Texans. Now that the Texans have a capable QB, I would expect that to be a decent rivalry. This is the best QB situation the AFC South has seen in awhile.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



Latest Colts News