As we get ready for training camp for the New York Jets we continue to update you on the latest information coming out of Florham Park.
The 2017 New York Jets schedule starts off at the Buffalo Bills on September 10, 2017. The Bills are coming off a 7-9 season which they fired former Jets head coach Rex Ryan. During the offseason the Bills hired former Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator, Sean McDermott to be their head coach.
JETS GET REVENGE ON BILLS IN 2016
In an otherwise frustrating season where they fell way short of the preseason expectations for them, the Jets were able to have their way with the Bills. Gang green put together two of their three games when they scored 30+ points on the season against Buffalo, outscoring them 67-41 in the two Jets wins.
Quincy Enunwa was outstanding for the Jets in both their wins, combining to catch 11 passes for 173 yards. The Jets ground game was also outstanding in both wins, as first Matt Forte (30 rush, 100 yards, 3 TD) and then Bilal Powell (22 rush, 122 yards, 3 receptions, 15 yards, TD) ran the ball effectively.
RECENT HISTORY BEFORE 2016 SAW BUFFALO STAMPEDE THE JETS
This was the total opposite of the outcome for the Jets against the Bills in 2015 when their two losses kept them from the postseason. The Bills won both games by the same score of 22-17. If the Jets would have had the same success in 2015 that they had in 2016, they would have won the AFC East (finish with a 12-4 record) and had the number one overall seed in the AFC.
Going back to 2012, the Jets had lost 4 of their previous 5 against the Bills (6 of 7 when you include the two losses in 2015). Buffalo destroyed the Jets over that span, as their four victories were won by just over 26 point per game.
KEY NOTES FOR JETS WEEK 1 MATCHUP
The Jets and Bills are no strangers when it comes to opening the season against each other. Here are some bullet points to help fans break down the matchup that starts the 2017 season for the Jets.
- This is the 12th time the Jets open the season against the Bills, easily the most in franchise history.
- Jets are 8-3 in previous 11 meetings in season openers against the Bills, having won their last five season opening matchups.
- This is the 10th time that the Jets will be opening the season in Buffalo. The Jets have won six of those previous meetings, including four straight. The last time the Jets lost in Buffalo to start the season was 1981.
- This will be the fourth time the Jets will start the season on September 10. The Jets are 1-2 in those games (Won at the Titans in 2006, Lost to the Patriots in 1989 and lost at the Bills in 1967.)
- This is the first time the Jets will start the season on the road since 2009 when they defeated the Texans in Houston, 24-7.
- The Jets recorded their most points in a season opener against the Bills in 2012 when they defeated them 48-28. They also scored 41 points against them in 1972, which is tied for the 2nd most in a season opener (also done in 1997 at Seattle and in 1983 at San Diego).
- Overall the Jets are 27-30 in season opening games, including going 17-20 on the road.
We will have much more on the Jets season opening game against the Bills in the upcoming weeks to get you ready for the 2017 season. Please check back and let us know your thoughts!
Mark Kelly covers the New York Jets for ProFootballSpot.com. You can follow him on twitter @CkmagicSports. Looking for more Jets news and features? Like our Jets Facebook page and also follow @spot_jets on Twitter.