The season of the 2017 Jacksonville Jaguars began today in the first open practice of training camp.
If you weren’t able to make it, here’s everything you need to know from Day One:
- The Jags first open practice of training camp was held Thursday morning for about two hours in 84 degree weather. Practice ended about 20 minutes early due to weather conditions.
- Around 1,900 fans were in attendance for the first open training camp of Doug Marrone’s first year as head coach.
- The full practice was conducted in helmets and shorts, with the first padded practice scheduled for Saturday.
- There were a lot of noticeable difficulties with cramping and dehydration, as expected in the initial training camp practices. Quarterback Blake Bortles took an extended waterbreak mid-practice to receive fluids for dehydration. Telvin Smith and Abry Jones took extended waterbreaks at separate points during practice, as well.
- Cornerbacks Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Colvin and fullback Marquez Williams started 2017 training camp on the PUP list, missing day one of on-field activities.
- T.J. Yeldon, Barry Church, and Tashaun Gipson were all active in practice after missing the on-field activities of the offseason.
- Marqise Lee and Arrelious Benn each were knocked over and had a hard time getting up during team drills. Though, no resulting injuries have yet been reported.
- Both Leonard Fournette and Cam Robinson, the first and second round picks of the 2017 draft, respectively, played with the second team.
- Chris Ivory was the first team running back for most of practice.
- Brandon Allen and Chad Henne split backup quarterback reps.
- The first team offensive line was Branden Albert at left tackle, Tyler Shatley at left guard, Brandon Linder at center, AJ Cann at right guard, and Jermey Parnell at right tackle. Head coach Doug Marrone said yesterday that he should have a good idea about the makeup of the offensive line by the end of the first week and a half of training camp.
- Dante Fowler recorded what likely would have been a sack early in practice.
- Taurean Nixon, at cornerback, recorded a nice pass deflection.
- Yannick Ngakoue, Malik Jackson, and Calais Campbell led the pass-rush with noticeable quarterback pressure during practice. Several plays were recorded that would have ended in sacks during a live game and greater pressure in padded practices.
- Head couch Doug Marrone’s thoughts on what he saw at the first open training camp practice today: “I want to push them more. I want to see them finish more. The first day in a new environment, players try to see what practice is like, to save themselves and things of that nature. But that’s not going to help us become a better football team. That’s what I’m going to talk to them about tonight.”
Jacksonville Jaguars offseason schedule: http://profootballspot.com/jacksonville-jaguars-offseason-dates-remember/