Photo By: Rant Sports
- Consistently makes plays in the backfield
- Uses hands well to attack defenders
- Good instincts
- Defends the pass well
- Gets good drops in pass coverage
- Can rely too much on his instincts at times, finding himself out of position
- Not terrible explosive off the line
- Struggles defending in run game
Van Noy drew a ton of attention when he decided to back to BYU for his senior season. He was considered one of the top prospects had he declared, but he did return to BYU which had mixed results.
Although Van Noy did add size to his frame to get to a better NFL size, his numbers and performance took a bit of a hit. After a 13 sack season in 2012, Van Noy only accounted for 4 in 2013. His tackles for loss also dropped, going from 22 in 2012 to just 16 in 2013.
But Van Noy does still have a very good skill set. He defends the pass better than he gets credit for, getting good depth in his drops and using his athleticism to stay with tight ends and running backs. He also uses his hands extremely well in both pass rushing and run situations. Above all else, Van Noy is very quick and athletic, which allows him to be instinctive and make so many plays in the backfield.