Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jhutch

JAWS ranks Jake Locker as 2nd worst starting QB in the NFL

33 posts in this topic

Was watching the QB countown, in which Jaworski came to the conclusion that Jake as a very long way to go. I suppose this isn't terribly surprising, but still - pretty discouraging thing to read about your franchise QB. 

yikes… I was watching that, too.

I'm gonna miss Glover Quin on the Texans. The dude was a bone crusher like Bernard Pollard but could actually cover.

It's ranking the top 32 starters at QB in the league I believe, but obviously if you are at 32 or 31 that isn't a good thing.

After studying Jake Locker's game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away believing Locker still has a "long way to go" to become a successful NFL quarterback.

Ranked 31st in Jaws' QB Countdown, Locker displayed suspect awareness in terms of reading defenses, poorer accuracy on movement throws than expected, and a startling proneness to getting sacked. "While Locker has often been talked about as throwing well on the run, a careful look at all his throws reveals that he is erratic with both his clarity and his accuracy," Jaws stated. "What really stood out in evaluating Locker was the number of sacks he took that resulted from pressure outside the box, especially from the slot." Jaworski concluded by saying, "if (Locker) does not throw with more consistent accuracy, he will always struggle to become a quality NFL starter.

It makes sense. Jake looked bad last year, wether it was injury or not. But I don't think he's that low. He's better than tannehill, Palmer, grabbert, ponder. So he ps a little off. But jake has to prove last year wasn't him.

He's got no more excuses.

He's got talent all around him.

Put up or shutup time. 

My money is on him progressing greatly, personally. 

It makes sense. Jake looked bad last year, wether it was injury or not. But I don't think he's that low. He's better than tannehill, Palmer, grabbert, ponder. So he ps a little off. But jake has to prove last year wasn't him.

Locker - 197 YPG, 56 CMP%, 74 QB Rating 

Tannehill - 205 YPG, 58.3 CMP%, 76 QB Rating 

Palmer - 267 YPG, 61 CMP%, 85.3 QB Rating 

Locker also had more talent around him than Tannehill or Palmer. 

Jaws thinks he´s a brainiac, it´s all in the hypothetical.  Good luck challenging his opinions though.

Locker is a flop, though.

Jaws thinks he´s a brainiac, it´s all in the hypothetical.  Good luck challenging his opinions though.

Locker is a flop, though.

How can he be called a flop when he hasn't even started a whole season?

He does nothing.

Are you kidding me? This kid puts more effort in every play than a lot of NFL QBs. Have you even watched three Titans games?

Watch this video and tell me he doesn't do anything. Especially watch the play at 2:10

And then you can't ignore this play from 2011:

As a Washington Husky fan, I really want Jake to succeed. He's a hero in Seattle. But right now, he hasn't adapted to the NFL game whatsoever. 

He definitely is not better than Ryan Tannehill, who put up more yards, with a higher completion percentage, more touchdowns, with a higher passer rating than Locker. Christian Ponder put up significantly better stats than both of them. So did Carson Palmer. Gabbert flat out sucks though. I'll give you that. 

The problem with Jake is he is not accurate, and too reckless. These issues plagued him at UW, but he could get away with it because of his effort and awesome athleticism. In the NFL, he has not learned to hone his armstrength. He has the cannon, but his release is inconsistent due to awful footwork. And as any QB guru will tell you, footwork is key to the success of every great NFL quarterback. Also, having relied on his legs so much in college, Locker never really got used to reading defensive schemes. Thus, his pre snap reads are flawed. 

Jaws is absolutely right. Jake has a very long way to go. But I really hope he succeeds. It will take some serious work ethic and coaching, though. Knowing Jake, I'm well aware that he has the work ethic and drive to succeed. He's a great, great guy. Hopefully it all comes together for him.

Zach Knutson likes this

The issue is the nfl is so used to seeing young qbs succeed early like kaepernick, RGIII, Newton and Wilson, that people have become impatient. Locker has showed the same issues that typically plague young qbs. Not trusting reads, hanging onto the ball long. He doesn't look lost, he looks inexperienced. He was a sort of a project coming out and was expected to take a few seasons before he would blossom. After 11 games. I actually am impressed. Mentally, he doesn't seem as behind. Doesn't come out flustered. I think last season was a product of the offensive scheme and his youth. He should surprise some people

The issue is the nfl is so used to seeing young qbs succeed early like kaepernick, RGIII, Newton and Wilson, that people have become impatient. Locker has showed the same issues that typically plague young qbs. Not trusting reads, hanging onto the ball long. He doesn't look lost, he looks inexperienced. He was a sort of a project coming out and was expected to take a few seasons before he would blossom. After 11 games. I actually am impressed. Mentally, he doesn't seem as behind. Doesn't come out flustered. I think last season was a product of the offensive scheme and his youth. He should surprise some people

What you´re seeing is a prospect, who´s value you want endorsed.  What I see, is a guy that chokes.  He has reasons?  He´ll continue to have reasons, lots of them.  People who have reasons, always find a lot more reasons.  You can´t cry over spilled milk, but you can cry over the cats lapping it up.

What you´re seeing is a prospect, who´s value you want endorsed. What I see, is a guy that chokes. He has reasons? He´ll continue to have reasons, lots of them. People who have reasons, always find a lot more reasons. You can´t cry over spilled milk, but you can cry over the cats lapping it up.

I see a player with 11 games played who possesses high upside but just hasn't bee able to put it together yet.

You then try and find out why he hasn't put it together. Well, based on tape, he looks inexperienced and a bit erratic. The erratic portion seems to show more when he faces constant pressure. Hmm, that seems to happen to alot of quarterbacks. So naturally I would assume he gets antsy due to poor protection. Ok well now I know why he may be erratic.

What about inexperienced? Well he has played 11 games. That makes sense, he is actually inexperienced.

These are observations based on watching tape and studying the player based on tendencies he displays on a consistent basis. I'm not trying to endorse anyone. I am simply putting my observations out there.

And about the "reasons thing". A reason Tom Brady Brady lost in the Super Bowl is due to his lack of receiving talent, in conjecture with consistent pressure in his face leading to poor throws(seen that before). Reasons will definitely be there, but that is for any quarterback. So I don't get the point your making.

Kenneth Goit likes this

Don't feel too bad. Last year he didn't even have Russell Wilson (or Colin kaepernick for that matter) on his list at all

Has anyone else been following the list he has been revealing in its entirety? It's kind of a busted list anyways. I think the whole list he has put out has been a big joke.